Based in Berlin, Germany
Type of project:
Augmented Reality Application
07th November 2017 (Conference Booth), 3rd December 2018 (Store)
The German ministry for economy and energy ("Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie") wanted a visualization of the 12 digital hubs in Germany for their booth on the Web Summit 2017 in Lissabon.
The Film and Animation agency Congaz created a unique animation for each hub to show the main topic at that location. Those animations were placed via Augmented Reality on a physical map of Germany. The spectators could grab an iPad, point it at the map on the table and activate the animations by tapping the hubs. Once activated they could check out the nice 3D animation and access some additional information about the location.
I was the Lead Programmer on the project, keeping track of the application in general and the AR part and user flow in particular. Johannes Deml and Maic Hanse, two other freelance programmers from Hamburg, supported the development to meet the quality and deadline of the project.
In October 2018 the ministry decided to make the AR app available for the public on iOS and Android. Therefore I adjusted the project, so it also runs on Android and made some UI changes to guide the user through the experience. In December 2018 the apps were available in the Google Play Store and in the Apple App Store.
- Interactive Augmented Reality application
- High quality 3D animations within Unity3D
- Stable AR tracking despite distinct icon design
- Lead Programmer
- Set up project with Unity3D
- Integration of Vuforia SDK for AR support
- Research & Development of the AR tracking
- Consultation about design of AR markers
- Development of the user flow logic
- Development of the user interface
- Continuous deployment during development for quick testing despite remote work
- Deployment on presentation iPads
- Adjustments to be available as mobile app
- Deployment to Play Store and App Store
Official Making Of video from congaz at congaz.de.
Official AR markers
Official AR markers which are required for the app at de-hub.de.
Art Direction, 3D Art, UI Design
Lead Programming, AR Programming
Brand & Business Director
presskit() by Rami Ismail (Vlambeer) - also thanks to these fine folks